Another track crack hits Central Railway services | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Oct 23, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Another track crack hits Central Railway services

Yet another cracked rail was found on a Central Railway (CR) track on Wednesday.

mumbai Updated: Dec 03, 2009 00:55 IST
HT Correspondent

Yet another cracked rail was found on a Central Railway (CR) track on Wednesday.

And the location of the third such fractured rail is close to the previous three instances of the same problem. The latest crack surfaced on the Vangani-Neral route at 7.05 am, severely affecting train services going towards Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST).

While CR cancelled two trains as a result, other local trains going towards CST ran 30-40 minutes behind schedule, and those going towards Kalyan were also affected.

This continued until noon, after which the delays began to thin out. By late afternoon, services were running more or less on schedule.

On November 18, a minor crack was found on the Badlapur-Vangani route, delaying train services.

CR authorities believe these incidents are occurring due to the climate, which is cooler in these areas.

“Cracks form on tracks due to contraction and expansion, which occurs due to changes in temperature,” said S Mudgerikar, chief PRO, CR.

On November 4, 12 coaches of the Gandhidham Express going towards Bangalore had derailed near Bhiwandi due to a rail
fracture. November 9 saw another rail fracture at Vikhroli, which partially affected local train services.

In addition to these track-related delays, services on the Harbour Line — also run by CR — were crippled after a train ran over 35-year-old Rajendra Mumbrikar’s leg at Tilak Nagar on Wednesday.

Because of the slow speed of the train, his leg was reportedly caught in the brakes, after which the motorman stopped the train. Mumbrikar was taken to Rajawadi hospital where he is reported stable.

Between 10.50 am and 11.50 am, over 12 Harbour Line trains were cancelled, five more were partially cancelled (these trains went only up to Kurla).

Trains were running late by over 45 minutes, until the situation stabilised by late afternoon.