The drive against drink driving has been put on hold after seven days of relentless action against errant motorists.
Traffic police heads said the reason behind the pause was to give the much-needed break to officers who have been working continuously for the last seven days. “The drive against drunk motorists will resume next week. The officers have been on their toes for the last week and we decided to give them a break,” said Nandkumar Chougule, deputy commissioner of police (traffic).
The drive, which was conducted from Friday afternoon to Saturday morning, saw 860 errant drivers being booked for driving under the influence of alcohol. Of them, 93 were convicted. The traffic police booked 1,734 motorists during the seven-day drive from December 25 to 31. In 2009, 14,681 cases were registered with the traffic police and 11,499 persons were convicted, a traffic police officer said, requesting anonymity.
Last year, more than 15,000 cases were registered and 8,865 persons convicted.
The campaign against drink driving started on June 20, 2007 after it was observed that there was an increase in the number of accident due to driving under the influence of alcohol.
Since its launch, the traffic police have registered more than 56,860 cases and 33,270 motorists have been sent for simple imprisonment under section 185 of the Motor Vehicle Act. Licences of 28,197 motorists were suspended for the offence.
On the first day (January 1) of the Road Safety Fortnight, the state highway police booked 464 vehicles for different traffic violations across Maharashtra. A total of Rs 85,700 was collected as fine.
While maximum number of drivers (382) were penalised for over speeding, 26 vehicles were booked for operating without reflectors. Four drivers were booked for driving under the influence of alcohol on Saturday by the highway police.