A two-month-old girl died at Rajawadi Hospital, Ghatkopar on Sunday morning, allegedly after being immunised for polio, diphtheria, tetnus, pertussis and hepatitis B at a health post in Bhandup.
Smruti Ingale was given the immunisation drops with 90 other infants on Saturday. Civic officials denied that Smruti died due to a reaction to the immunisation dose. BMC’s Senior Health Officer, Mangala Gomare said so far none of the other babies had shown any adverse reaction. She said Smruti’s death was probably due to some other factor, as she was fine for 12 hours after being administered the vaccine.
As per the accidental death report, Smruti was given polio drops at 11 am on Saturday. Around 11 pm she started crying and her mother also noticed she was bleeding through the nose. She was taken to Rajawadi Hospital were the child’s condition became stable for a few hours. On Sunday at 10.15 am, her condition deteriorated and she was declared dead by 11 am.
The BMC, however, has decided to check if any of the other 90 infants given the same vaccine with Smruti have shown any kind of reaction. “We are awaiting the post-mortem report,” said Gomare.