Ban on 'Sanathan Sanstha' still pending | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 26, 2017-Wednesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Ban on 'Sanathan Sanstha' still pending

Hindu right wing outfit Sanathan Sanstha, suspected of being involved in the Diwali eve blast in Goa, might have faced a ban if the Maharashtra government had acted on a proposal forwarded by the Anti-Terrorism Squad last year.

mumbai Updated: Oct 20, 2009 17:44 IST

Hindu right wing outfit Sanathan Sanstha, suspected of being involved in the Diwali eve blast in Goa, might have faced a ban if the Maharashtra government had acted on a proposal forwarded by the Anti-Terrorism Squad last year.

A proposal to ban the Sanstha is pending with the Maharashtra government since last year, a top ATS officer said today.

After a blast at Gadkari Rangayatan in nearby Thane in June 2008, investigations had pointed fingers at the Sanstha and the then ATS chief Hemant Karkare had sent a proposal to the state home ministry seeking ban on the organisation.

"ATS had forwarded the proposal to the government but I am not aware of its status," said ATS chief K P Raghuvanshi.

Karkare had forwarded the proposal some time before he was gunned down by terrorists in 26/11 terror attacks.

To proscribe an organisation, the state government has to forward its proposal to the centre which takes a call after considering the recommendations. This had not been done, official sources said.