Battle for life continues for two injured govindas | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 20, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Battle for life continues for two injured govindas

mumbai Updated: Sep 04, 2010 02:34 IST
Apeksha Vora
Apeksha Vora
Hindustan Times

Rekha Solanke (27) broke into tears after visiting her husband Dattatray (30), who has been unconscious since Thursday.

He suffered severe head injury when he fell off a human pyramid trying to get to a dahi handi. “He hasn’t even opened his eyes or tried to communicate with us.

I took my children to meet him, to remind him we’re there but he could not respond,” said a distraught Rekha, a mother of four children — the oldest being five years old. Dattaray was taken in for a surgery on Thursday night and has been in the ICU on a ventilator at KEM hospital since.

“His condition is still critical and the doctors are doing the best they can, but we can’t be sure of the outcome at this stage,” said Dr Pravin Bangar, a senior doctor at the hospital. Rajendra Salonke, Dattaray’s uncle, is worried about the family. “Dattatray drove a rickshaw or tempo as and when he got the job. His wife and children have no savings,” he said.

The cost of Dattatray’s medical care will be taken care of by the municipal corporation and politicians from the area. “He wasn’t a part of any mandal. They were just a group of the locals who decided to break the handi, so he has no insurance. But a local politician and gave us Rs 25,000 on Thursday for his medical needs and assured us of further help,” added Rajendra.

The condition of another injured govinda, Deepak More, is also a cause of concern. He was admitted to Sion hospital on Thursday after a head injury. “He is still critical and we hope for the best,” said Dr Sandhya Kamath, dean of the hospital.

Abhijit Patel, who was admitted to RN Cooper Hospital at Vile Parle for vertebral injury, is now stable. “We have given him a brace and will be operating on him soon, but he is out of danger and is doing well,” said the medical officer at the hospital.