The matter on the Best-Five policy for junior college admissions has been listed for hearing before the Supreme Court for Tuesday. But it may not be heard because notices are yet to reach some of those “party to the dispute”.
“It has been listed as item number three but the record shows that some parties have not appeared,” said one of the lawyers associated with the case. “The service is shown as incomplete.”
The case was previously listed for hearing on October 19, when the advocates for the students had asked for more time to file a reply to the state government’s petition.
The Supreme Court is hearing an appeal filed by the state challenging a Bombay High Court order that struck down the Best-Five policy. The policy provided that the SSC students' final percentages would be calculated on the basis of their highest marks in five out of six subjects. In August, the Supreme Court had in an interim order extended the Best-Five policy to ICSE students as well.
The SSC board has put on hold the announcement of the Class 10 results of those who appeared for the exams in October, until the Supreme Court delivers its verdict.
“The high court had struck down the Best-Five policy previously, so we have decided to withhold the results until the Supreme Court ruling,” said a senior official of the board on condition of anonymity. “We will decide about announcing the results as soon as the issue is clear.”
The board announced the results of those who appeared for the HSC exams last Monday.