BMC employees to get uniform | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 27, 2017-Monday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

BMC employees to get uniform

mumbai Updated: Nov 14, 2010 14:34 IST
PTI
BMC

Soon, over one lakh employees of the local civic body, will be seen donning a uniform, like one has in corporate offices.

The idea of uniforms for all civic employees from junior to senior officials was proposed by Standing Committee Chairman Rahul Shewale at the Group Leaders meeting last week.

"With uniform, one automatically feels responsible. If employees in large corporate houses can have uniforms, why not BMC employees," asked Shewale.

There would be different dress code for employees, distinguishing them according to their departments. It is too early to talk about the dress code as things are at an initial stage, he said. "Of the total employees, nearly 60 per cent are fourth class employees like peons and sweepers who already wear uniforms. The other 40 per cent from the clerical staff to deputy municipal commissioners will have to get the uniforms," Shewale said.

The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) has welcomed the idea and said it will soon prepare an estimate of how much it would cost. "This is a good idea. We will study the proposal soon and figure out the financial implications," a civic official said.

Meanwhile, the Mumbai Police have roped in fashion designer Manish Malhotra to get a makeover for the men in khaki.