BMC to go corporate, get uniforms for staff | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 04, 2016-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

BMC to go corporate, get uniforms for staff

mumbai Updated: Nov 14, 2010 01:20 IST
Sujit Mahamulkar
Sujit Mahamulkar
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

You could soon see staff at your local ward office sporting spiffy uniforms like they do in corporate offices. The idea was mooted by the civic body and welcomed by the unions.

On Friday, a decision to implement the idea was taken at a meeting of civic group leaders in the Mayor’s chambers and was attended by various political party leaders in the BMC.

Municipal commissioner Swadheen Kshatriya, additional municipal commissioner A K Singh and other officials were also present.

Rahul Shewale, civic standing committee chairman, had proposed the idea of uniforms for all civic employees before the meeting and it was heartily approved by all leaders and the civic administration.

Kshatriya, particularly, liked the idea. “It’s a good idea and we will examine it. We will study the proposal soon and figure out the financial implications and how it could be implemented in a phased manner. Employees who regularly deal with the common man would definitely make a better impact if they were attired in uniforms.”

Shewale told Hindustan Times, “A uniform automatically makes one feel responsible and adds to the employee’s self-confidence. It would help to identify civic employees in ward offices and at the headquarters.”

“If employees in large corporate houses can have uniforms, why not BMC employees?” Shewale said. He also said that the civic engineers’ union had already agreed to have uniforms.

“Of a total of one lakh civic employees, nearly 60% are fourth class employees (like peons and sweepers) who already wear uniforms. The other 40% from the clerical staff to deputy municipal commissioners will have to get the uniforms specially made. The administration will have to prepare an estimate of how much it would cost the BMC,” Shewale said.

Civic employees also welcomed the idea. Sharad Rao of the Municipal Mazdoor Union, which has the largest number of members in the civic body among all other unions, said, “This would be a great move. I have seen it being implemented in the private sector. Wearing a uniform automatically means commitment towards one’s job and increases concern for as well as loyalty towards the organisation. It will be very effective.”