You could also have a say in the drafting process of the civic body’s policy on the installation of mobile towers in the city, before the policy is finalised. The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) has decided to make a presentation of its draft policy next week, inviting suggestions from citizens and experts.
On Friday, a group of citizens met municipal commissioner Sitaram Kunte to put forth their suggestions on tackling the suspected health hazards posed by exposure to mobile tower radiation. “We discussed the issue in the meeting on Friday. We will make a presentation about the new policy to the citizens next week,” said Kunte.
HT has been consistently reporting on the suspected health hazards posed by exposure to mobile tower radiation and the civic body’s policy on the installation of new towers.
The provision for public intervention in the drafting process comes as a positive sign for citizens.
“The commissioner was very receptive to our suggestions. At the next meeting, the BMC is going to make a presentation to us on the draft plan as well as their findings and research so far. They were open to meeting with doctors and engineers apart from concerned citizens to get an all round perspective and expert views on the subject,” said actor Juhi Chawla, who was part of the group that met the commissioner on Friday.
Based on the guidelines enlisted by the Union Department of Telecommunication (DoT), the BMC is currently preparing a draft of the revised policy on the installation of new mobile towers in the city. At present, there are more than 1,800 illegal mobile towers installed in the city without seeking requisite permissions from the civic body.
“Regulations on installation of towers should be with retrospective effect. We suggested that no new permissions should be granted for installation without vacating the existing stay on illegal towers,” said Prakash Munshi, a Malabar Hill resident.