Bombay HC acquits three family members of killing widow | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 20, 2017-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Bombay HC acquits three family members of killing widow

mumbai Updated: Mar 27, 2013 19:06 IST
Highlight Story

Three members of a family, who were found guilty of setting a widow afire following a quarrel, have been acquitted of murder charge by the Bombay High Court, which observed that there was no evidence to implicate them in the case.

Justices P D Kode and V K Tahilramani, while acquitting the trio - Devidas, Sakhubai and Shaila Ahire - of murder charge, however, held them guilty under Section 452 IPC (house trespass after preparation for hurt, assault or wrongful restraint).

The judges reduced their sentence from three-year rigorous imprisonment to three months on this count along with a fine of Rs. 2000 each.

The bench also set aside the lower court order, which had imposed life imprisonment on Karbhari Ahire, another member of the Ahire family, for murder of the widow by setting her afire. Instead, he was convicted under Section 304 part II (culpable homicide not amounting to murder) and sentenced to ten years of rigorous imprisonment and a fine of Rs. 2500.

Acquitting three members of the family of murder charge, the judges noted, "We do not find any reliable and trustworthy evidence on record to show that they poured kerosene on Shobha (victim) and set her on fire."

Shobha Khairnar, a resident of Malegaon, had an affair with Yuvraj, a member of Ahire family, who was already married. Their affair was not approved by the family and there were frequent fights between Shobha and other members of the household on the issue. But this did not deter the couple and they continued the relationship.

On April 25, 2005, Yuvraj's brothers Karbhari and Devidas, mother Sakhubai and sister-in-law Shaila barged into the house of Shobha and fought with her.

The prosecution had alleged that Karbhari then took a stove kept in the house and poured kerosene on Shobha before torching her.

Shobha died in a hospital and Ahire family members were arrested and tried for murder. They were found guilty by Malegaon Sessions Court on April 5, 2006.