Tragedy hit Mira Road on Thursday night when a six-year-old schoolboy was drowned in an open sewage tank near his housing society.
The incident occurred in the Sai Sargam Society, in Nityanand Nagar where the victim, Utsav, lived with his family.
The Mahanagar Gas Limited was laying a pipeline near the region. The residents of the building are blaming the contractor’s men for leaving the tank lid open.
Utsav and his brother were playing in the building compound, when Utsav fell into the tank, which was covered with a gunny bag, and the iron lid was missing.
The child’s father who jumped inside the 20 feet deep tank managed to rescue him. The boy was then admitted to a private hospital where he died on Friday.
"He had swallowed human waste which had clogged his lungs and vital organs, leading to his death," said a police officer.
"The Kashimira police have registered a case of accidental death. We will take action against the Mahanagar Gas Limited, only if we receive a complaint in this regard, said PI Anil Patil, from the police station.