Boyfriend’s fainting spells are holding up probe, say police | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 11, 2016-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Boyfriend’s fainting spells are holding up probe, say police

mumbai Updated: Nov 03, 2010 02:06 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

The fainting spells of Sahil Malik, 28, arrested in connection with the murder of model, actress Rinky alias Priyanshi Chowdhury, have been hampering investigations, Goregaon police have claimed. They say he regains consciousness only an hour later.

Surendra Paithankar, senior police inspector of Goregaon police station, said, "Malik has been continuing with his drama ever since the court sent him into police custody. And when he does talk, he maintains that Chowdhury committed suicide."

The police added that circumstantial evidence has not given away anything against Malik. Their case is completely based on medical reports and the accusation by Chowdhury’s mother Kohinoor Mandal. The police are relying entirely on the statements of Malik’s former girlfriend Shamli Jain alias Princey and Shivendu Shekhar, a common friend of both the accused and Chowdhury, whom they questioned on Tuesday.

The Goregaon police recorded Jain’s statement, where she rubbished all claims made by former boyfriend Malik. Jain told police that her interaction with Chowdhury was professional.

She added that Malik was unnecessarily dragging her into the whole affair. "I hardly spoke to her and during those few conversations we did not discuss Malik much, so there was no question of harassment. Chowdhury and I also used to chat on the Internet," she said.

Meanwhile, Chowdhury’s viscera has been sent for chemical analysis, which will help police ascertain whether she committed suicide or was murdered.

Meanwhile, Shekhar, the man who police were considering the prime witness in the case, has switched off his mobile phone after agreeing to come and give his statement. A team has been sent to Rajasthan, where his friends claim he had gone for work, to bring him to the city.

"According to the watchman at Chowdhury’s building, Shekhar had visited her residence between 3.15pm and 3.45pm on October 28. The last call from Jain on Chowdhury’s phone was recorded at 3.17 pm that day following which Chowdhury had returned Jain’s call. We suspect Shekhar was present when the last conversation took place between the two women and could have heard something that could help us," said investigating officer, police inspector D Kamble.