Bring bureaucrats under the ambit of Lokpal: Anna | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 04, 2016-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Bring bureaucrats under the ambit of Lokpal: Anna

mumbai Updated: Jun 25, 2011 00:41 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Anti-corruption crusader Anna Hazare on Friday said the corruption in the country could not be curbed unless a body like Lokpal was given powers to investigate and prosecute corrupt bureaucrats

In a statement issued here on Friday, Hazare stated that the administration must be brought under the ambit of the Lokpal who should be an autonomous authority.

“We are demanding that the Lokpal should be given the same level of autonomy that is given to the election commission and information commissioner. However, there should be no control of the government on him,” Hazare said.

He said that the people were reeling under corruption because the administration was not carrying out its duty properly. “America has corruption, but it’s not affecting the common man there. In our country corruption is affecting the day-to-day life of citizens,” he said. He also said that 75% public money is spent on salaries and amenities of public servant and so on. The remaining 25% was also subject to corruption, he claimed.

“If things will continue this way, how will our country develop. Hardly any money allotted for welfare schemes is utilised properly,” Hazare said.