British woman jumps from Juhu hotel | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 23, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

British woman jumps from Juhu hotel

mumbai Updated: Nov 05, 2010 01:43 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

A 37-year-old British woman allegedly committed suicide by jumping off from the terrace of a Juhu hotel on Thursday morning.

The police said the incident took place around 8.30am after Sunanda Valan, 37, and her husband Ajay Valan, 37, returned from a stroll on Juhu beach.

Ajay is a security officer with the British airport and Sunanda was working as a medical receptionist in a London-based hospital.

The couple got married in 2002 and did not have any children, said the police.

The couple resides in London and came to the city on October 29 for a 15-day vacation. They had first been to Anand in Gujarat to meet Ajay’s relatives.

The couple flew back to Mumbai on Thursday morning and around 6am checked in at the Ramee Guestline Hotel in Juhu.

Police inspector Ashok Pimple of Juhu police station said, “Soon after checking in, the couple went for a walk on the Juhu beach and returned around 8am. Sunanda told her husband that she was going to check out the room.”

The police said Sunanda went to the terrace of the six-storey hotel and jumped from there. The watchman at the hotel heard the thud, rushed to the spot and found Sunanda dead.

She was rushed to Cooper Hospital where she was declared dead on arrival.

“Ajay, in his statement, said that although they had come to India on 15-day vacation, Sunanda did not quite like the place and had been insisting on returning to London. The couple had booked a return ticket to London for Friday from Mumbai,” added Pimple.

The couple did not have any argument before the incident, said the police.

Sunanda did not have any medical history.

“Sunanda sustained major leg injuries and minor head injuries. It also appears that after she jumped from the terrace, she had a heart attack which, along with the injuries, could have lead to her death,” added Pimple.

The police have registered a case of accidental death.

Sunanda’s parents who live in London are expected to be in the city by Friday.