Armed with banners and placards, more than 200 residents of Worli’s upscale Campa Cola compound on Friday staged a protest against the civic body’s decision to demolish 140 unauthorised flats spread across the seven buildings in the compound on Monday.
The residents alleged that the civic body’s demolition order on Friday that came with a 48-hour eviction notice did not give them adequate time to make alternative arrangements for rehabilitation or to consult authorities for further review.
“Several senior citizens have been living in these buildings for more than two decades. The 48-hour deadline is unjustified. We will continue to protest when the civic officials come to demolish the structures on Monday,” said Ajay Mehta, a resident.
The notice was served following a Supreme Court order on February 27, which had demanded everything above the fifth floor of the structures in the buildings be demolished. While the builders were granted permission for ground-plus-five floors, they built up to 20 floors in some buildings.
“Most of the buildings inside the compound are interlinked. Thus, by demolishing only the upper floors, we fear that they will no longer be structurally stable,” said Rohit Malhotra, who lives on the fifth floor of BY Apartments.
The civic body, however, has decided to stick to its decision, stating adequate time and reminders had been given to the residents in the past eight years. “We have also told residents that they will have to make alternative arrangements since the structures were illegal,” said Mohan Adtani, additional municipal commissioner. “They need not worry about the structural stability; we will be using scientifically tested methods to undertake the demolition work.”