Chavan demands ban on controversial online videos | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 21, 2017-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Chavan demands ban on controversial online videos

mumbai Updated: Sep 17, 2012 00:51 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

In a bid to prevent Azad Maidan-like violence, chief minister Prithviraj Chavan has asked the union home ministry to ensure a ban on controversial videos available on some US social networking sites.

The videos prompted the violence in Libya where US ambassador and three other embassy staff were killed in a rocket attack on Wednesday. A few other countries and some Indian cities, too, witnessed violence last week. Chavan said he feared violent incidents during the forthcoming Ganesh festival in Maharashtra. He has already asked that security be increased at the US consulate in the city.

A statement by Chavan's office said that he had called union home minister Sushil Kumar Shinde on Friday to seek ban. "Shinde said the Centre was serious about banning such videos," the statement said.

<