CID to probe death of 85-yr-old Iranian woman | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 04, 2016-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

CID to probe death of 85-yr-old Iranian woman

mumbai Updated: Apr 17, 2010 01:53 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

The state Crime Investigation Department (CID) will investigate the death of an 85-year-old Iranian woman, Fatima Fallal, whose body was found in an elevator pit in a building at Bhendi Bazar in August 2009.

“Circumstances [in which Fallal’s body was found], undoubtedly, create suspicion about the death of Fatima Fallal,” the Bombay High Court said on Friday while transferring the case to the CID.

Fallal’s body was found in the pit of the elevator of her five-storey building on the night of August 22, 2009.

She lived in the space outside the terrace of the 50-year-old building.

The Bombay High Court was hearing a petition filed by Jalal Mohammed Ali Sekkehzadeh, a cleric and Fallal’s caretaker, last September alleging foul play in her death.

A division bench of Justice D.B. Bhosale and Justice A.R. Joshi has asked the additional director general of the CID to appoint a competent officer in two weeks to probe Fallal’s death.

The officer has been asked to complete the investigation on or before August 14 and submit a report.

The high court observed that if it is revealed that Fallal was murdered then the CID should find out who killed her.

The agency also has to examine whether the earlier investigation was fair or if there was any attempt to shield the culprit.

The role of Dr Aijaz Mulani, who had signed Fallal’s death certificate saying she died of cardiac arrest, will also be probed.

The Bombay High Court has also raised doubt over the manner in which Abu Hussain, the building’s security officer, had moved Fallal’s body.

“It appears that he was following instructions from someone,” the judges observed.

Hussain had taken Fallal’s body first to nearby Habib Hospital and then to JJ Hospital at Byculla.

He allegedly did not even follow the advice of a police constable at JJ hospital who said he should contact the police first.