The supply of contaminated water to several areas across Mumbai will continue for about six months as the civic body's plans to curb rising contamination levels are yet to take off. The admission comes from the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) a day after Hindustan Times reported that the annual environment status report showed a quarter of water samples collected from the city unfit for consumption.
The contamination levels have marginally dropped to 24.64% from 26.1% last year. After HT’s report on water contamination on August 6, 2010, the BMC and the state had promised several measures to ensure supply of clean drinking water, but little has changed.
The civic body had promised several measures like installing toxic analyzers, setting up leak-detection units and hiring more trained staff to deal with invisible leaks. However, none of these plans have materialised so far.
“All these plans are underway. Once implemented, it will help to curb the contamination levels to a great extent,” said Rajiv Jalota, additional municipal commissioner. “But, we will need at least six months for any tangible reduction in the contamination levels to be seen.”
To reduce water wastage, the civic body had started replacing the Tansa main pipelines in 2008, but only half the work has been completed.
According to Vinod Shekhar, Congress corporator from A-ward, there seems to be no redressal system in place to tackle contamination complaints.
“The levels of water contamination are so high that it clearly shows the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation has not taken complaints seriously,” said Shekhar. A-ward, which includes areas from Nariman Point to CST, has 32.5% water contamination level.