The Nehru Nagar police are taking steps to intensify surveillance after carefully studying the pattern adopted by the accused in the earlier cases in which three minor girls have so far been raped and murdered.
"The surveillance will be beefed up further," said Police Inspector Shashikant Mane of VB Nagar police station.
At present, around 1,000 police personnel are already involved in the case.
Explaining the pattern, the investigators said that all the three girls were kidnapped in the first week of month.
In the first case, a six-year-old girl went missing on February 7 from her home and was found in a Slum Rehabilitation Authority building in Nehru Nagar.
Her body was found the next day on the building terrace. A medical test done revealed she was raped and strangulated to death.
On March 6, a nine-year-old girl went missing while she was playing near her house.
Her body was later found on the terrace of the police quarters located opposite Nehru Nagar police station. She had died in a similar manner, the officials said.
Similarly, an eight-year-old girl went missing on June 6.
Her body was later found about 15 days later from inside a shanty.
The investigators said that another pattern is that all the three crimes have taken place in between 5 pm and 7.30 pm.
The accused always targeted 'pretty looking' girls, who were seen playing outside their home.
The police believe that this is the only way the accused will be caught. At present, they hardly have any clues, which could lead to his arrest.
The police and the crime branch have circulated a sketch of the man who allegedly raped and killed the three minor girls across various police stations.