CM announces probe into waste management scam
Chief Minister, Ashok Chavan, on Wednesday ordered an inquiry into allegations of a waste management scam.mumbai Updated: Apr 22, 2010 01:25 IST
Chief Minister, Ashok Chavan, on Wednesday ordered an inquiry into allegations of a waste management scam.
During a debate on Mumbai’s problems, ruling party members alleged a Rs 8,500-crore scam in the solid waste management contracts that the municipal corporation had awarded last year for work that several firms were ready to do for free.
The 25-year contract is to remove and treat 3,500 tonnes of waste. The money for this scheme will come from the Centre’s Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission. Congress legislator from Bandra, Baba Siddique, had demanded an inquiry by the CBI into the solid waste management contracts scam.
Siddique said two companies, United Phosphorous and Ramkey, were unnecessarily given loading and unloading charges (tipping). He said the firms were supposed to make money from treating waste from three dumping grounds and there was no need to give them transport charges.
Chavan said: “I’m told specifically that there was no need to give any tipping charge.”
Siddique said tipping costs will run into Rs 10,500 in 25 years. “We want to know who benefited from the scam.”
Responding to the Sena leaders’ charge that the Congress government interfered in BMC’s area by implementing several schemes through the MMRDA, Chavan said the agency was doing this work because the BMC did not have the money.
The Congress and NCP are aiming for power in the BMC, which has been with the Sena-BJP alliance for more than two decades.
MNS MLAs joined them in the outcry against alleged corruption in the BMC.
Ruling party legislators also accused the BMC of illegally giving away public gardens and clubs to Shiv Sena and BJP leaders.