Colaba rape case: Victim changes statement | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 18, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Colaba rape case: Victim changes statement

mumbai Updated: Jan 10, 2011 01:12 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

The minor girl from south Mumbai who was allegedly kidnapped and raped by a 17-year-old friend on New Year’s Eve now alleges that the boy did not rape her.

However, the police arrested the boy and his 23-year old accomplice on charges of kidnapping and illegal confinement.

“We are yet to receive the medical reports,” said Cherring Dorje, DCP Zone 1. The suspect is also allegedly a minor, and was arrested on Friday and sent to a juvenile remand home.

This is not the first time the victim filed a complaint against the boy. The police said they discovered the boy allegedly raped the victim on three earlier occasions.

“As per records, rape cases were registered against the boy at Gamdevi, Matunga and Malabar Hill police stations. But we were informed by the respective police stations that they were unable to obtain his custody either because of anticipatory bail or his status as a minor,” said assistant police inspector, Deepak More.

The victim allegedly went missing from a Colaba nightclub on New Year’s Eve. The police later found her on January 3 in a beauty parlour at Byculla.

The police arrested Maifus Ansari, 23, on charges of kidnapping the girl. Ansari, the police alleged, is a friend of the minor suspect. “We booked him on the basis of the victim’s statement,” said More, adding that Ansari will be produced in court on Monday.

The police also said the victim’s disappearance became known only after her mother received an SMS from an unknown person saying: “You cannot separate your daughter from me. I can’t see her with anyone else. I will now sedate her and physically abuse her.”

On January 3, the police received a tip-off from a person claiming to be the boy’s relative. He told the police that the victim was at a beauty parlour on Claire Road in Byculla where the police eventually found her.