Three years after the online admissions began for Class 11 admissions, the school education department has constituted a 14-member committee to review the process, according a notification issued on December 30.
The committee, comprising principals, government officials, two parent representatives and two journalists will review the process and recommend suggestions to the school education department.
“Next week, we will have a meeting of all the principals to discuss the glitches in the online admission procedure. With just three months for Class 10 examinations, there is little time on hand,” said TA Shiware, principal, Hinduja College, Charni Road, also chairman, Non-Government College Principals’ Association.
In September last year, a delegation of principals had met Education Minister Rajendra Darda demanding the cancellation of the online admissions because they felt the process was tedious and time consuming. The state government had then announced the formation of a committee to decide on the continuation of the online admission process.
According to principals, a minimum option of 35 colleges to be listed in the online admission procedure will lead to confusion and therefore the number of options must be reduced. According to statistics provided by Shiware, 50% of minority admissions, 20% of inhouse admissions and 5% of management quota admissions are conducted offline. The remaining 25% admissions take place online. “For just 25% admissions online, we waste more than 80 working days,” said Shiware.