The ruling Congress and the Shiv Sena were today on the path of bitter confrontation in the escalating row over the screening of Shah Rukh Khan film 'My Name is Khan' in Maharashtra this Friday, as Sena MPs decided to surrender their security cover.
Sparks flew today after Chief Minister Ashok Chavan spoke of removing security cover provided to Uddhav Thackeray
if he takes law into his own hands with the Sena executive chief mocking at the Congress-led government saying it was
interested only in providing security for Pakistani terrorist Ajmal Kasab. Uddhav said he did not need government security.
"I don’t need his security. My party MLAs will also return their security. Let the men guard Kasab as he seems
dearer to government instead of those who express their love for the country," Uddhav said. Kasab is the lone surviving
Pakistani gunman in the Mumbai terror attack.
After Chavan's threat yesterday to Uddhav, Shiv Sena MPs today decided to surrender their security cover in protest.
"We have already returned the security cover since this morning," party leader Sanjay Raut, who is also a member of
the Rajya Sabha, told PTI.
He said that letters have been written by party leaders to Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar and Rajya Sabha Chairman
Hamid Ansari in this regard.
Raising the rhetoric after the crackdown by the state government in which over 1,200 Shiv Sainiks were arrested
following their violent protests against the SRK film, Raut warned: "Wait and see what happens on 12th despite huge
security". The film of the Bollywood superstar is due to be released on February 12.
In New Delhi, Congress spokesman Abishekh Singhvi sent a strong message to the Shiv Sena saying their protests over the release of the film would be dealt with a "very firm hand".
Chavan had earlier said, "We are not going to tolerate Shiv Sena's bullying tactics".