Constable shoots self, critical | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 23, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Constable shoots self, critical

mumbai Updated: Sep 07, 2010 02:32 IST
HT Correspondent

A head constable attached to the MRA Marg police station tried to end his life by shooting himself with his self loading rifle (SLR) while on bandobast duty near Jahangir Art Gallery in Kala Ghoda on Monday morning. His condition is critical.

This is the third case of a policeman attempted to end his life in 15 days. Rajaram Pawar (50), who has been in the service for 22 years, shot himself on his right side temple in the presence of five other constables from the Azad Maiadan police station and the Local Arms Division.

Vilas Marathe, assistant commissioner of police (Azad Maidan division), said a note, written in Marathi, found in his pocket said that an incurable ailment had driven him to take this step, and he held no one responsible. He was rushed to JJ Hospital.

Pawar, who was transferred from the Shivaji Nagar police station two months ago, had reported for duty on Saturday after he was back from a two-month long sick leave. “Pawar had gone on sick leave from July 26. On Sunday evening was on bandobast duty at the synagogue when he attempted suicide,” said Marathe.

According to Pawar’s colleagues he arrived at work on time. He did not seem disturbed, and, in fact, had dinner with the other constables at the police station.

“Around 6.30am, he was seated with the constables when he tilted the SLR rifle, positioned it to his right temple and shot himself. The bullet pierced his forehead and exited from his left temple,” said Marathe.

Pawar was rushed to the St George Hospital and then shifted to JJ for more intensive treatment. “Pawar’s brain has been damaged. Doctors said there are only seven per cent chances of his survival,” said a senior official. “We are trying to find out what ailment was Pawar suffering from,” added Marathe.

Pawar's family:

Rajaram Pawar’s wife, Vilas, said he left home on Sunday afternoon after lunch and showed no signs of stress.

“My son called him thrice in the evening but he did not answer. I called again him at 10 pm but he still did not take the call. We assumed he might be busy. The next morning, I stepped out for some work and two policemen came to our house. Not finding me home, they went to my sister-in-law’s house nearby and told her that he has been admitted to JJ and is critical,” said Vilas. She said he is a diabetic and does not have any other disease.

Pawar’s daughter is married and settled Pune, his younger son is an engineering student and his youngest daughter is a college student.