Cop who headed Force 1 to swap jobs with Seth | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 27, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Cop who headed Force 1 to swap jobs with Seth

mumbai Updated: Aug 31, 2012 00:53 IST
Ht Correspondent
Ht Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Ajmal Kasab

Joint commissioner of police (law and order) Rajnish Seth, who was shifted out on Thursday, has been replaced by Sadanand Date, who was heading the Force 1 commando unit, formed after the 26/11 terror attack in 2008. Seth would now head Force 1.

Home minister RR Patil made the announcement at the director general of police's (DGP) office after the half-yearly crime conference. State government officials, however, termed the transfer as routine and claimed it has nothing to do with Azad Maidan violence.

However, officials in the DGP office said the state government and top officials of the Mumbai police were unhappy with the way in which Seth handled the Azad Maidan violence on August 11.

Despite being present at the scene since the rally started, police sources said he was unable to handle the situation. Also, officials felt there was no policy decision taken during the violence, because of which junior officials and staff were a confused lot, which led to 58 policemen and women on duty suffering injuries.

It was former commissioner of police Arup Patnaik who came to the scene within minutes of the attack and went on stage to appeal for peace.

Police officials say Seth did not take decisions, which could have prevented the violence.

Ahmed Javed has been appointed as additional director general of police (law and order). The post was vacant after Satyapal Singh was made commissioner of police.

Meanwhile, the police arrested three more accused in the case, taking the number of arrests to 58. Faisal Mohammed Hussain Tabarak, 18, a resident of Tardeo, has been arrested on charges of rioting.

Nadeem Shaikh, 29, who resides in Mazgaon, was involved in severely beating up a state reserve police force (SRPF) personnel during the attack. When the police caught him on the spot, he showed a mobile clip in which he was seen giving water to the same person, after which he was allowed to go. However, he was held later after video evidence showed him beating up the personnel.

The third person is Shabad Abdul Kadir Shaikh, 20, a Jogeshwari resident, who was arrested near Raheja hospital in Mahim for damaging the Amar Jawan Jyoti memorial at the venue.

While the first two have been remanded in police custody till September 6, Shaikh will be produced in court on Friday.