Cops clueless about accused | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 24, 2017-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Cops clueless about accused

mumbai Updated: Aug 24, 2010 01:13 IST
Little Yadav
Little Yadav
Hindustan Times
Cops clueless about accused

The MHB Colony police are, so far, clueless, about the identity of the men who robbed two temples in Borivli (west) in the last 15 days. In the first case, on August 9, the robbers stole cash. In the second robbery, which took place on Sunday, they stole valuables after killing a watchman on duty and injuring another grievously.

The police said that not a single victim in the two cases has seen either of the accused. The police are not even sure whether the same gang carried out the two crimes. Senior Police Inspector S. Dhumale said, “We have sent a team to trace the accused, but so far we have no leads in either of the cases.”

Even Rajuprasad Joshi (30), the watchman who was injured in the second robbery, said he did not see the faces of the men who attacked him, because it was very dark. Joshi, who is admitted to Bhagwati Hospital, recalls the incident in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Joshi said that he and Devilal Sevak (55), the other watchman, were sitting at the opposite ends of the temple.

“We both had a headache, and I had covered my head with a cloth. Suddenly, someone covered my face and dragged me to a corner where they hit me repeatedly with a heavy object,” Joshi said.

He said that even though he could not see anything clearly, he could hear the men creating a ruckus and killing Sevak before he fell unconscious. When he woke up at around 3.30 am, he found Sevak lying dead in a pool of blood and the lock on the door of the temple was broken. “I covered my head with a towel so that the blood did not drip and headed towards the temple priest who sleeps behind the temple premises and informed him about the incident.

“I remember running to save my life with the fear that someone will strike me again when a cop stopped me. I felt relieved before falling unconscious again,” said Joshi. Joshi had been employed by the temple trust just 15 days ago.