Corrupt armyman was being watched for 8 months | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 27, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Corrupt armyman was being watched for 8 months

mumbai Updated: Jun 28, 2010 03:30 IST
Vignesh Iyer

Major Dipendra Bhushan, the medical officer at the army recruitment office in Colaba, who the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) arrested on June 20 for allegedly accepting a bribe, had been on the Military Intelligence (MI) radar for the past eight months.

“We realised that there was foul play in the process of recruitment of fresh candidates,” said a defence source.

The source said that after preliminary investigation by the Military Intelligence, they found that Bhushan was taking money to clear candidates’ medical tests.

The source further added that they [MI] had asked some aspirants to report to them if they are asked for money at any time during the recruitment, said the source.

Accordingly, some of the aspirants told the Military Intelligence that Bhushan had asked money from them for clearing their name without conducting medical tests, said the source.

“The MI took an aspirant to the CBI office to lodge a complaint against Bhushan,” added the source, after which the CBI registered a case against Bhushan and arrested him.

“MI had to work, in this case, to get Bhushan arrested as the case was very sensitive and Military Intelligence suspected that clearing medical files for money could have created problems in the force,” said the source.

“Initially, we also suspected a private recruitment agency run by a former armyman in Nashik could also be involved in this scam but the Military Intelligence did not find anything incriminating against the private agency, but our investigations are still on,” added the source.

The Central Bureau of Investigation arrested Bhushan along with his driver Bharat Oram, from Fashion Street while accepting a bribe of Rs 50, 000 from a candidate.

Oram was allegedly acting as the middleman and had allegedly accepted money on behalf of Bhushan.

Major Bhushan had been in the service for the past 11 years.