The Mumbai Regional Passport Office has decided to drop proceedings initiated against a Cuffe Parade resident for allegedly obtaining duplicate passport for her three-year-old son by giving wrong information.
The Bombay High Court found that the 37-year-old mother was not at fault.
“You are bound to verify before levelling allegations against anybody that he has misrepresented,” said the division bench of Justice D K Deshmukh and Justice N D Deshpande.
The court was hearing a petition filed by Pooja Kedia, challenging the show cause notice issued by passport authorities.
The notice was issued to her on August 2 asking her explanation why duplicate passport issued in the name of her son, Arnav, should not be cancelled and action should not be initiated against her.
Mandar Goswami, representing the passport office, told the court that the notice was issued on the basis of a report forwarded by deputy commissioner of police, special branch, who deals with verification of information given in application for passports.
The petitioner, who separated from her husband last year, had lodged a complaint after her husband told her that he had lost their son’s passport. She had also annexed a copy of the complaint to the application for a duplicate passport.
After clearing the application, DCP, special branch, had forwarded a report to the passport authorities that the woman had given false information that the original passport was lost when it was with her husband.
The court found no fault in the woman’s conduct.
“Why would someone unnecessarily apply for duplicate passport despite having original one, especially when it takes so much of money and effort.”
The passport office told the bench that they would withdraw the proceedings against Kedia.