In a double reprieve to the Katrina Kaif-Ranbir Kapoor-starrer Raajneeti, two different judges of the Bombay High Court refused to entertain applications seeking a stay on release of the film.
Raajneeti is scheduled to be released on June 4.
One application sought a stay alleging copyright infringement of the script, while the second application claimed that the film defamed Congress president Sonia Gandhi.
Yogendra Konkar claimed that he had sent a script to filmmmaker Prakash Jha.
His advocate Sanghani Krishnakant argued that the story of Raajneeti is similar to his client’s script.
Konkar had also sent his script to eight other filmmakers, including Pritish Nandy, argued Krishnakant.
Seeking an urgent stay on the film, Konkar argued that he had registered the script with the Indian Motion Pictures Association in March 2009.
Jha’s advocate, Ashish Kamat, argued that they had registered their script with the Association in December 2008 and the production began in January 2009. “So there is no way we could have copied his script,” argued Kamat.
Vacation judge Justice S.J. Kathawala said: “You will not find the story of any Hindi film which is not similar to another. You can’t claim relief on similarity ground [sic].”
Observing that “balance of convenience” lay in favour of Jha, Justice Kathawal refused to grant a stay on the film’s release.
“If you succeed, you will get your Rs 25 lakh. But what about his [Jha’s] loss? Are you willing to deposit Rs 5 crore with this court?” asked Justice Kathawala.
The second application was filed by Congress loyalist Naseem Khan who alleged that the movie defamed Sonia Gandhi.
Khan’s lawyer H. Holmagi said the film’s promotional clips were defaming Sonia Gandhi considering Kaif’s character is supposed to be based on the Congress president.
Justice R.G. Ketkar too refused to grant a stay on release of the movie.
Khan had moved the sessions court last week, and the matter will be heard there on June 2.