Court to rule on Nov 18 whether Headley can be charged over 26/11

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Mumbai
  • Updated: Nov 22, 2015 11:40 IST
David Headley’s role in the 26/11 Mumbai attacks as a conspirator and abettor was earlier confirmed by Abu Jundal, another LeT operative. (HT)

The sessions court on Friday said it will announce its decision soon on the prosecution’s plea to make David Headley, a Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) operative, an accused in 26/11 plot for his role. Special judge GA Sanap has reserved the order on the plea for November 18.

Headley’s part in the attack as a conspirator and abettor was earlier confirmed by Abu Jundal, also known as Zabiuddin Ansari, another LeT operative and key handler of the attack.

Special public prosecutor Ujwal Nikam argued that Headley be added as an accused in the case on Friday and pleaded that he should be tried with Jundal.

The prosecution had on October 8, moved an application to summon Headley to face trial in the case before the court. Although according to his plea bargain deal with the US government, he cannot be extradited, the prosecution pleaded that he be produced before the court through video conference.

According to Nikam, Headley has played a role of key conspirator along with his other partner, Pakistan-born businessman Tahawwur Rana, who was convicted by a US district judge for providing material support to the LeT but was acquitted of the charge of helping to plot the Mumbai attack.

Nikam said that the documentary evidence brought on record of the present trial clearly reveals that the criminal conspiracy was hatched behind the terror attack and Headley played an important and active role in achieving the object of the criminal conspiracy.

In 2010, Headley pleaded guilty to his role in 26/11, admitting he had carried out a reconnaissance of the targets for the Lashkar. Prosecution mentioned that he had provided videos of various locations to LeT, where terrorist attacks were committed.

He had also provided useful information about the safe landing places to the attackers on the night of November 26, 2008. He also conducted reconnaissance of various targets places of terror attack well in advance and provided details thereof to the LeT.

As Headley has already been convicted for his role in 2008 terror attack by US court, Nikam said that the offences with which Headley is likely to be charged in the courts here, are distinct and separate that the offences with which he had been triad and punished in USA.

also read

Railway cops keep watch on Diwali gangs targeting travellers in Mumbai
Show comments