The inquiry initiated by the Board for Control of Cricket in India (BCCI) against former Indian Premier League commissioner, Lalit Modi, will continue, the Bombay high court ruled on Friday.
The high court rejected Modi’s plea seeking stay on the inquiry against him following several allegations including accepting millions of dollars as kickbacks in awarding IPL telecast right contracts and rigging of bids for new franchisees in 2010.
“I am satisfied that the plaintiff [Modi] is determined to delay the proceedings before the disciplinary committee on one ground or the other,” justice SJ Kathawalla said, while rejecting Modi’s plea. The judge noted that if Modi was allowed to succeed in his attempt to delay the inquiry, the purpose of the investigation would be lost.
The BCCI had lined up several foreign nationals as witnesses, and they may not be available to depose before the disciplinary committee at a later date. “It is, therefore, essential that the disciplinary committee is allowed to complete its inquiry,” justice Kathawalla said.
Modi had filed a suit against the BCCI seeking a declaration that its special general meeting held on November 27, 2010, was illegal and null and void. He had filed another plea seeking an interim stay on the ongoing inquiry against him during pendency of this suit.
He had contended that the BCCI’s rules regarding the appointment of the disciplinary committee were inconsistent with the Tamil Nadu Registration of Societies Act, under which the cricketing body is registered. His petition said that instead of appointing an annual disciplinary committee during its annual general meeting, as is the practice, the disciplinary committee was constituted in a special general body meeting, and it continued to function even after last year’s general body meeting.