Cylinder blast burns down Matunga eatery | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 23, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Cylinder blast burns down Matunga eatery

mumbai Updated: Oct 09, 2011 01:43 IST
HT Correspondent

A cylinder blast was reported from a restaurant at Matunga on Saturday.

The fire department said the incident occurred around 3.45am at Natumal Bhograj hotel located on the ground floor of Gani Mansion on Wadala Road.

“A cylinder that was kept in the kitchen of the eatery exploded which led to a fire. Residents of the building rushed out. We received a call following which three fire engines and a water tanker were rushed to the spot and the fire was doused within half an hour,” said a fire official, on condition of anonymity.

A resident of the building who stays on the first floor said, “We were sleeping when I suddenly woke up because of the brightness outside. I noticed flames downstairs and alerted my family members. We all ran out of the house to the road in front of the building.”

The reason for the explosion is yet to be ascertained. However, officials said the explosion could have caused because of a short circuit in the kitchen’s electric wires. No casualties were reported and nobody sustained injuries in the mishap.