Daya Nayak transfer ‘was halted 12 days ago’

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Mumbai
  • Updated: Jul 04, 2015 01:06 IST

The suspension of Maharashtra police sub-inspector Daya Nayak, like much of his career, is steeped in controversy. On Thursday, the director general of police (DGP) suspended Nayak for the second time in his career. While no official reason was given for this, it is widely believed that Nayak’s refusal to take up a posting at Nagpur – where he was transferred a year ago – led to his suspension.

However, additional chief secretary (home) KP Bakshi said Nayak’s transfer had been stayed by the home ministry 12 days ago, well before DGP Sanjeev Dayal suspended him on June 30. Dayal told HT on Friday that Nayak’s suspension was an administrative order, and refused to comment further.

Sources said the former encounter specialist refused to go to Nagpur as he and his family remain on the Mumbai underworld’s radar. Soon after his transfer from Mumbai’s west control room was announced last year, he had written to the DGP and the state government, expressing his inability to go to Nagpur because he feared for his and his family’s lives, said a police source.

Other theories doing the rounds in Mumbai police circles are that Nayak was reluctant to leave the city as he has a base of credible informers here. He has no such network in Nagpur, and this could have left him vulnerable to attack. A transfer to Nagpur would also give his rivals the opportunity to target his informers and reduce his chances of returning to Mumbai.

Former IPS officer turned lawyer YP Singh claimed the action against Nayak was harsh. He said, “Not reporting to duty after a transfer calls for departmental action but not suspension. The direction general of police should have initiated departmental proceedings and imposed a penalty on Nayak rather than suspending him.”

However, former DGP K Subramanyam had a different view. He said if Nayak did not intend to honour his transfer to Nagpur, he should have been clear about it. “He should have said clearly if he was taking up the transfer or quitting the force,” Subramanyam said.

This is the second time Nayak, a 1995 batch officer, had been suspended. The first was in January 2006, after a Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) court ordered the Anti-corruption Bureau to investigate him for unaccounted wealth.

also read

Pune biennale to be held from January 5 TO 29
Show comments