A Pakistan court declaring Ajmal Kasab an absconder and issuing a non-bailable warrant against him have proved beyond doubt that the gunman is a Pakistani and had taken part in 26/11 Mumbai attacks, special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam said on Monday.
"India's stand that he (Kasab) is a Pakistan national and had not only conspired but also participated in the 26/11 attacks has been vindicated with an anti-terror court there declaring him an absconder in the case," Nikam told PTI.
An anti-terror court in Pakistan, trying seven suspects of the Mumbai attacks, had on Saturday declared 14 people including Kasab, the lone terrorist captured alive, an absconder and issued the warrant. Pakistan is separately trying 26/11 terror attack accused after India had furnished proof that the conspiracy was hatched on its soil.
While the trial in Pakistan court has just begun, that in a special court in Mumbai has reached its fag end.
Asked if non-bailable warrant against Kasab would be executed, Nikam said, "we too had demanded the accused wanted in 26/11 attack case but the Pakistan government refused to hand them over on the ground that no extradition treaty exists between the two countries. Therefore the question of handing over Kasab to Pakistan does not arise".
Nikam, however, felt that the prosecuting agency in Pakistan will now be required to prove how Kasab's associates had hatched criminal conspiracy in that country and carried out the terror attacks in Mumbai.
"We have independent evidence besides Kasab's confession to prove his involvement. Let us wait and watch what happens further," said Nikam.
"Planning and preparations for the 26/11 attacks were done in Pakistan and, therefore, it becomes all the more interesting to know how the investigating agencies there will establish the guilt of the accused who are in jail and those who are absconding," said Nikam.
Kasab is facing the charge of killing 183 people in the Mumbai attacks. Nine of his associates had been killed by security forces.