Delay in swimming pool revamp in Chembur costs BMC dear | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 24, 2017-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Delay in swimming pool revamp in Chembur costs BMC dear

mumbai Updated: Dec 31, 2014 21:31 IST
Vaishnavi Vasudevan
Vaishnavi Vasudevan
Hindustan Times
swimming pool

The three-year delay in the revamp of the swimming pool at Chembur into an Olympic size one has pushed up the cost by almost 100%.

The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) will now spend Rs 22.41 crore for the restoration work, which would have cost Rs 12 crore in 2011.

The civic body has appointed a contractor to transform the pool named after General Arunkumar Vaidya into an Olympic size one with a gallery for spectators, mini-sports club, children’s pool, a garden and gymnasium. The building maintenance department will put forth the proposal in the standing committee for approval on Friday. In its financial budget, the BMC had allocated Rs6 crore for the restoration work.

“There were leakages in the swimming pool and the dressing room was in bad shape. There has been a delay in carrying out the restoration work because of bureaucratic hurdles, but the project will take off soon,” said a senior civic official.

According to the current contract conditions, 75% of the contract cost will be released in advance and the remaining 25% will be given after the completion of the project. The contractor, API Civilcon, will maintain the pool and other facilities for two years after its inauguration.

The pool was shut in 2007 for repair and reconstruction, and has been shut since then.

The BMC once had seven swimming pools in the city. Of them, four — in Andheri, Goregaon, Mulund and Vile Parle — have been handed over to private trusts that now charge exorbitant fees. The other two in Kandivli and Dadar are maintained by the BMC. The pool in Chembur had more than 7,000 members.