Dharavi revamp: Only 7 bidders submit details | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Nov 21, 2017-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Dharavi revamp: Only 7 bidders submit details

The Rs 15,000-crore Dharavi Redevelopment Project is again in trouble after only seven of the 14 competing developers submitted the required technical details. HT Correspondent reports.

mumbai Updated: Oct 17, 2009 01:28 IST

The Rs 15,000-crore Dharavi Redevelopment Project is again in trouble after only seven of the 14 competing developers submitted the required technical details on Friday.

The Dharavi Development Authority asked the 14 short-listed groups to submit to it the memoranda of understanding among the team members.

This was asked after rumours that many of the international and local firms wanted to opt out of the project in the wake of the downturn.

“I am going to raise this issue with the committee of government secretaries that the number of participants does not give scope for adequate competition,” said Gautam Chatterjee, chief executive of the authority. “The committee will take a final call on what should be done with the bidding process. Whether they would be allowed to participate would be decided by the technical committee headed by the chief secretary.”

It is unclear whether the remaining bidders have withdrawn from the project or would submit their details later.

The 14 bidders are competing to develop Mumbai’s largest slum area in five blocks spread over 593 acres next to the Bandra-Kurla Complex.

The winning bidders will build 3 crore sq ft of residential space to rehabilitate 60,000 slumdwellers. In return, builders will be permitted to construct and sell 4 crore sq ft of commercial and residential realty.

The first set of bids had been submitted in August and Friday was the deadline for submission of the technical bids.

The DRP officials will compile the data submitted by the developers, including the survey findings on how many of the 57,000 families in the 535-acre area are eligible for new houses, and submit the data to the new government. As per the project, each family will get 300 sq ft homes instead of 225 sq ft.

While two developers have asked for more time to submit the details, others seem uncertain and may back out.

Venugopal Dhoot, chairman of Videocon Group whose subsidiary firm Videocon Realty has bid for the project, said: “We have submitted the requisite information for the project.” But project officials said Videocon Realty hadn’t done so.

Sources in DRP said the committee would decide whether action should be taken against those who haven’t submitted details on Friday.