Didn’t conduct 2-finger test on 23-yr-old woman: hospital

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Mumbai
  • Updated: Sep 29, 2014 22:20 IST

Contrary to her father’s allegations, the Sion hospital authorities have denied conducting the banned two-finger test on the 23-year-old woman, who survived a rape attempt in Chembur last week.

“The head of department of gynaecology, along with other doctors, was present when the woman was brought for treatment,” said Dr Avinash Supe, the dean of Sion Hospital.

“The woman was never subjected to the banned two-finger test. She was advised to get admitted to the hospital, but she did not agree to it, despite counselling. She also refused to give consent for swab collection,” Supe said.

Her father, however, is unconvinced. “My daughter suffered trauma at the hospital. I will approach the women’s and the human rights commission. I am taking up the issue as I don’t want anyone else to suffer,” said the woman’s father.

“The doctors told us they have attended a workshop on the guidelines issued after the December 16 Delhi gang-rape, but it seems they have misinterpreted it,” he said.

“There should be clarity on the guidelines for doctors at government hospitals.”

Last Wednesday, Mahadev Gounder, 45, a civic contract labourer, was arrested for allegedly attempting to assault the psychology student when she was on her way back home from college. Gounder was caught by three alert constables after hearing the woman's screams.

also read

Shiv Sena heckles BJP over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil issue in Saamana editorial
Show comments