With their ten-month-old child, Chotu, getting discharged from JJ Hospital on Tuesday, the two-week nightmare of the More family from Nandurbar finally came to an end.
A toffee-sized pendant swallowed by the infant had blocked his food pipe nearly killing him earlier this month. Last week, doctors removed the pendant through a delicate endoscopy procedure.
"With an object with sharp edges being stuck in the food pipe, the surgery was risky," said Dr Nitin Dhende, head, paediatric surgery at JJ Hospital.
Worse, More was brought to the civic hospital four days after the incident. Unable to gulp his saliva, he had turned pale and pneumonic.
"Any further delay would have been fatal," added Dr Dhende.
In an attempt to remove the pendant, More's mother had pushed it further down his food pipe, said the doctors.
"Initially, the local clinic at Nandurbar had agreed to do the surgery. But later they realised that they wouldn't be able to handle the complications of the surgery," said Ganesh More, the child's father.
Doctors told the Hindustan Times that they had intentionally avoided an open surgery fearing blood loss.
"The pendant was intact in the food pipe. Dr Dhende had to be gentle considering the infant's health and simultaneously apply force to remove it without an open surgery," said Dr Adarsh Hegde, another doctor from the pediatric department.
During the surgery, bruises on the infant's food pipe got opened, thus allowing the saliva and air to reach the vital organs.