Drain cleaner continues to fight for life
Two days after a labourer died after inhaling poisonous gas, one of the four who is in hospital remains critical and on ventilator.mumbai Updated: Dec 13, 2010 01:37 IST
Two days after a labourer died after inhaling poisonous gas, one of the four who is in hospital remains critical and on ventilator.
The victims, Mohammad Kalwa, 24, Mohammad Naribul and Mohammad Sayed, both 18 years old, and Mohammad Malik Rafiq, 23, — all from West Bengal — were cleaning the 30-ft-deep drain in Tardeo, without any safety gear.
Kalwa who was in the intensive care unit is still on the ventilator while Naribul and Sayed, who suffered grievous injuries, are recuperating.
Post-mortem report of Altafullah Rehmat who died in the incident is awaited.
The accident took place as the safety wall constructed inside the drain collapsed and water gushed in and swept Rehmat away.
The civic body has issued a show-cause notice to the contractor asking them to explain the reason for the incident and the shoddy work.
The safety gears and the guidelines were also violated on this case. As of now work to strengthen the drain has been abandoned for and will resume after the inquiry in this case is completed.
“We are a awaiting the post-mortem reports from the hospitals and then we will decide whether to lodge a police complaint against the contractor or not,” said a civic official, requesting anonymity.