A magistrate court in Kurla will decide on Janhavi Gadkar’s bail application on Friday. The 35-year-old high court advocate, who was drunk, crashed her Audi Q3 into a taxi killing two people on the Eastern Freeway earlier this month.
The arguments for Gadkar’s bail concluded on Thursday following which magistrate Richa Khedkar said the order will be announced on Friday.
Amit Desai, representing Gadkar, argued that the case was at the stage where crucial investigation has been done. “It appears that significant progress has been made. Statements of eyewitnesses and key witnesses have been recorded under section 164 CrPC, blood samples have been taken, forensic investigations and the panchnama is done,” he said.
The prosecution argued that if granted bail, the accused could tamper with evidence. “The witnesses live in the vicinity of the accused. Statements of some witnesses are yet to be recorded and the investigation is still on. The police are also checking if the accused has any previous records,” said Prahlad Mahajan, the public prosecutor.
The prosecution also stated that the Audi 3 involved in the accident has to be examined to ascertain if it had a mechanical or manual fault.
Desai argued that Gadkar’s custody is not needed anymore. “Once the evidence is put forward, she will face the consequences. This may be a grave crime, but not a heinous one,” he said.
The prosecution countered that this is not an ordinary case. “The conscience of the general public is violated and general public says that something needs to be done,” said Niteen Pradhan, the counsel who is representing the Sabuwalas.