A magistrate court in Kurla will pronounce an order on Janhavi Gadkar’s bail application on Friday. The 35-year-old high court advocate, who was drunk, crashed her Audi Q3 into a taxi, killing two people on the Eastern Freeway earlier last month.
The court had earlier rejected Gadkar’s bail plea. The arguments for Gadkar’s bail were finished on Wednesday, following which magistrate Richa Khedkar said the order will be announced on Friday.
Mahesh Sabnis, representing Gadkar, argued she is in jail for the past 44 days and the police have completed their investigations. “All the apprehensions have ceased to exist and the stage is now different,” said Sabnis to the court, while stating the investigations are over. “The blood reports have been collected, while the RTO, too, has submitted its report on the vehicles [involved in accident]. The injured have been discharged.” he said.
The defence argued there have not been allegations of non-cooperation against Gadkar in the past. “What will she tamper now? The investigation is over,” said Sabnis, adding the police had sufficient time to investigate.
The defence further said Gadkar’s conduct should be taken into consideration. “On 9th June [the day of accident], she was released and asked to surrender in the morning. She surrendered before the police at 8.30am. She could have done anything in that time. Please consider the conduct,” he said.
Pralhad Mahajan, the public prosecutor, said Section 304 Part II of the Indian Penal Code is exclusively triable by the session’s court. Mahajan said the investigation is still in progress and that Hafeeza Sabuwala, who was injured, was still undergoing treatment.