Preliminary investigations of stool samples of students of the Indian Institute of Technology-Bombay (IIT-B), who suffered a bout of food poisoning earlier this week, show that the infection was caused by E.coli, a bacteria.
More than 500 students from three hostels on campus had food poisoning after eating Chinese food at their mess on Sunday night. Currently, four students are still undergoing treatment at the IIT-B hospital.
The samples were tested at the hospital on campus.
"About six stool samples were tested and all had E.coli, which can cause a stomach infection. Two more students came with complaints of stomach ache and fever on Thursday and their samples were also taken as a precautionary measure," said an IIT-B official.
Doctors said that E.coli is commonly found in water and food. "Some E.coli is already present in our intestines but it can cause infection depending on the severity of the bacteria strain," said Dr Pratit Samdani, a physician.
The Powai police, too, visited the campus for questioning but no case has been registered.
The authorities are also looking at setting up a new mess and deciding if they should hire another caterer.
Preparations at the mess are being supervised.
Students have slowly started returning to eat at the mess.