The Nagpur bench of the Bombay High Court on Thursday directed the Nagpur police and the IPL organisers to follow a set of plans so that there is not traffic jam during the cricket matches.
The direction came after the police filed an affidavit in court saying they would ensure smooth flow of traffic during the IPL matches to be held there on April 5, 10,12.
Harish Dapodkar had filed public interest litigation saying that last year a 25-year-old man could not reach the hospital on time because of a traffic jam along the national highway near the stadium and he died.
Dapodkar claimed cricket enthusiasts had parked their vehicles along the national highway leading to heavy traffic.
Dapodkar alleged that the boy died because there was no- coordination between the Nagpur police commissioner, traffic department, national high way authority and the Vidarbha Cricket Association.
Nagpur police commissioner in his reply said that the police will ensure smooth traffic. The police also said that a new chowky near the stadium with be erected to ensure smooth flow of traffic.
While Superintendent of Nagpur (rural) police said that another alternative route will be operative whenever matches would be played in Nagpur.
“Last year people were starving for hours as they could not get food and water , and the limited food was available at very high price”, said Dapodkar’s lawyer Smita Sarode-Singalkar.