After the evidence of “an officer attached to Nokia India” turned out to be heresay, the special court hearing the 26/11 trial expressed displeasure over the lackadaisical investigation into the terror attacks.
On Tuesday, the witness, a logistics security specialist from the mobile manufacturing firm, told the court that he got information about the five Nokia phones recovered from the Lashkar-e-Tayyeba suspects who attacked the city on November 26, 2008, from its China manufacturing unit.
This is not the first time the court was upset with the probe.
Last week, the court rapped an inspector after signatures of the panch witnesses in the hotel Taj and Nariman House attack cases were found swapped.
Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam said in March, Assistant Commissioner of Police Ashok Durafe sent an e-mail to the witness, who lives in Delhi, seeking information about the recovered phones.
Durafe received a reply on April 2. But on Tuesday the witness told the court as he did not have access to the information on the recovered cellphones he had obtained the same from the China manufacturing unit.
Defence lawyer Abbas Kazmi objected to the deposition on the ground that the witness had no first hand information - as required under the Indian Evidence Act.
Salim Akhtar Shaikh, whose parents were shot dead by the Nariman House attackers, Sanatan Jadhav, who conducted an inquest panchnama on one of the hotel Taj attackers, and Bhagawat Bansode, who lodged complaint on the hotel Trident attack, also deposed.