Ex-call centre employee recorded argument with wife’s uncle | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 24, 2017-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Ex-call centre employee recorded argument with wife’s uncle

mumbai Updated: Nov 09, 2010 00:56 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times

A phone recording led the police the police to a Borivli-based private developer who allegedly killed his niece’s husband.

The Malad police arrested Jayesh Navalchand Joshi, 50, on Sunday night under section 302 (murder) of the IPC. He was produced in Borivli court on Monday and was remanded to police custody till November 11. More arrests in the case are likely, police said.

The body of Devang Upadhaya, 33, a former call centre employee, was found lying in a dustbin located at Liberty Garden in Malad (West) on Sunday.

The police had said that he was badly beaten up before being strangulated. They had detained Joshi, the maternal uncle of Upadhaya’s wife Poonam, who is an advocate.

According to the police, Upadhaya was murdered in Joshi’s Borivli office and from there his body was taken to Malad in an autorickshaw. “A recording in Upadhaya’s mobile phone helped us determine Joshi’s involvement. Two more persons are wanted in the case,” said Ramrao Pawar, additional commissioner of police (north region).

RD Prabhu, inspector, Malad police station, said Joshi was a record criminal and had several cases of cheating, forgery, and assault registered against him across the city.

Explaining the motive behind the murder, Pawar said: “Upadhaya, who was currently unemployed, and his wife would fight frequently. Despite Joshi warning him several times, Upadhaya continued to harass his wife.”

On Friday, Joshi asked the victim to come to his office in Borivli. Upadhaya reached there at 7pm. He switched on the recorder on his mobile phone before he entered, the police said.

After a heated argument with Upadhaya, Joshi ordered two other men present in the room to beat the victim with bamboo sticks. After Upadhaya died, the men waited till around 1am to take his body to Malad and dump it in the dustbin.

A passerby saw the body on Sunday and informed the police about the incident. The body had bruises all over. A cloth was wrapped around the neck, indicating that the deceased had probably been beaten up before being strangled.