Fake currency smuggler, aide arrested, Rs 6.5 lakh seized | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 21, 2017-Saturday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Fake currency smuggler, aide arrested, Rs 6.5 lakh seized

mumbai Updated: Jun 06, 2011 01:58 IST
Shailendra Mohan
Shailendra Mohan
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

The Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) has arrested a West Bengal resident, who is suspected to have circulated over Rs1 crore worth of fake Indian currency notes in the city in the past one year.

According to the ATS, Minarul Ayub Shaikh, 25, a resident of Nutunhasanpur in Murshidabad, was arrested near Asha Parekh hospital in Santacruz on June 4 by the ATS’ Juhu unit. The team also arrested Sajibul Khudabaksh Shaikh, 23, a resident of Daulatabad, Murshidabad, an alleged accomplice.

The ATS recovered 104 fake Rs500 notes and 603 fake Rs1,000 notes from their possession. The total amount of seized fake currency is valued at Rs 6,55,000. The ATS arrested the duo based on information received by inspector Sunil Mane.

During investigation, the ATS reportedly found that Minarul was one of the biggest smugglers of counterfeit Indian currency notes into the city. ATS suspects he brought in fake currency worth Rs1 crore in the last year. He even had “employees” who were paid a salary to circulate these notes in the market.

Minarul employed Sajibul for a monthly salary of Rs7,000, whose job was to ensure the fake currency got circulated.

“Minarul used to fly down to the city while his couriers used to bring in the fake notes by train. He would distribute them to unsuspecting people, who would then circulate these notes in the city,” said an officer.

The ATS said that Minarul had some other employees as well. “Two such men, Hsaiful Lukman Shaikh and Mannan Hussain Abdul Rashid Shaikh had been arrested earlier and a case against them was registered at the Goregaon police in 2010,” the officer added. Minarul also had a murder case registered against him at the Rani Nagar police station in West Bengal.

The duo has been remanded in police custody till June 10 and the ATS is looking for two more persons in connection with the case.