Chief minister Prithviraj Chavan met families of those imprisoned for their alleged involvement in the 2006 serial blasts at Malegaon and assured them all legal assistance following Swami Aseemanand’s confession before a magistrate last month that the blasts were his handiwork.
“The CM told us that he was in Delhi on Tuesday and had discussed the developments with the Prime Minister,” said Momin Mujeeb, a Malegaon-based lawyer who was part of the delegation. “We will go to Delhi next week to meet the Prime Minister and home minister because the Central Bureau of Investigation [CBI] is a central agency and does not take orders from the state.”
Minister for minority development, Naseem Khan, who led a delegation of the families of the accused, said: “They have been saying since 2006 that the investigations have been biased. With the confession of Swami Aseemanand they have been proven right. They have requested the chief minister to intervene.’’
Chavan told the delegation that he was seeking legal opinion and the state would look at the best possible way to ensure innocents were not punished.
Home minister RR Patil wrote to the CBI on Monday asking it to look into the demands of the families of the accused. Aseemanand, who worked for the Vanvasi Kalyan Ashram, an affiliate of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh in Gujarat’s Dangs district, had confessed last month that he and other Hindutva activists had plotted the Malegaon, Samjhauta Express, Ajmer and Mecca Masjid (Hyderabad) blasts.