Families shy away from media | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 20, 2017-Monday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Families shy away from media

mumbai Updated: Nov 08, 2011 01:50 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Keenan Santos

After being vocal about their sons' demise, the families of Keenan Santos and Reuben Fernandes are now refusing to talk to the media.

According to the police, the families are upset that the photograph of the main accused had been made public by the media. This has in turn weakened the case, the police said.

One of the family members said, "Till now we have been cooperating with the media and talking to them. All we just want is justice for them [Santos and Reuben] and make sure that the accused are punished. But, now we do not know what is going to happen."

When contacted, Santos' father Valerian said, "We request the mediapersons to publish only the facts and not things that would hamper the investigation and the case."

Vijay Bhoite, senior inspector, DN Nagar police station said, "The identification parade was the most important part of the entire case. However, our case has been hampered since the main accused, Jitendra Rana's, photo has been made public by the media."

The complainant in the case, Avinash Solanki, did not respond to any calls.

"We will still try to do everything that we can to get justice for Santos and Reuben," said one of their friends. "We will organise a candlelight march and opt for other ways to make sure that Rana and his accomplices are punished. The police have done their job thoroughly in this case."

Another friend said the government had promised the families that advocate Ujjwal Nikam would fight the case. "That is the only assurance we have at the moment.