Family of 3 injured due to electrocution | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 07, 2016-Wednesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Family of 3 injured due to electrocution

mumbai Updated: Oct 12, 2010 01:29 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Three of a family, including a one-year-old boy, sustained burn injuries after their asbestos-roofed shanty came in contact with an overhead high-tension electric wire on Monday.

The police said the structure was illegal and the family was staying there on rent. A case of negligence endangering the lives of others was registered against the shanty owner Ram Karan.

Meenakshi Jotalia, 21, sustained 100 per cent burns, her husband Ram, 26, sustained 10 per cent burns and their one-year-old son Vikram suffered 30-35 per cent burns.

The police said the structure at Thakkarbappa Colony near Pragati building in Chembur was illegal. Ram works in a footwear shop. The police said an overhead line of Tata Power carrying 110 kilowatts of electricity came in contact with the wet surface of the shanty’s asbestos.

The residents rushed the three to Rajawadi Hospital. The locals said the BMC was to be blamed for allowing illegal structures to come up in the area.

A statement of Tata power said the distance between the Dharavi-Vikhroli line and the illegal shanty was about one feet.

“Investigations has revealed that the shanty was illegally built. We have initiated action against the owner,” said a police officer.

tags