Family of accident victim blames Mulund station officials for death | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 24, 2017-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Family of accident victim blames Mulund station officials for death

mumbai Updated: Sep 30, 2010 00:45 IST

The family of a 52-year-old broker at the Vashi-based APMC market, has blamed the stationmaster and railway staff at Mulund station for his death on September 2.

Officers at Kurla GRP said they have recorded the statements of family members, but will lodge a complaint only after investigating the matter and questioning eyewitnesses.

According to the family of Bharat Mehta, a resident of Mulund (West), who was injured in an accident, railway officials, instead of taking him to a hospital, administered first aid and packed him off in an autorickshaw, alone. Mehta’s body was found lying on the footpath near Deep Mandir theatre, Mulund.

Dilip, Mehta’s brother said it was against the law to send an injured commuter alone. “He has to be taken to a hospital and has to be accompanied by a railway employee,” Dilip said.

Mehta’s family alleged that he died due to the negligence of M Daniel and other railway officers. The family said that on September 2, Mehta was heading home and had boarded a train from Sion.

Around 12.30pm when the train was between Nahur and Mulund stations, Mehta, who was standing on the footboard, lost his balance and fell into a nullah. The train continued its journey and no one bothered to inform railway authorities.

“An hour later, passengers of another train saw Mehta lying in the nullah and took him to Mulund station where they informed the stationmaster and the on-duty GRP officer,” said Madhu Kotian, president of Mumbai Rail Pravasi Sangh.

After first aid, they let him go, saying Mehta seemed all right and was answering all questions lucidly.

The stationmaster then hired a rickshaw and instructed the driver to drop Mehta home. However, after covering a short distance, the driver must have noticed that Mehta was not moving and left his body on the footpath.

A passer-by informed police controls and subsequently the Mulund police rushed Mehta to Agarwal Hospital where he was declared dead on arrival.

“I approached the stationmaster and told him about my brother’s death. Daniel told me that my brother was conscious and having a conversation with them. They thought he was fine and hence they allowed him to go,” said Dilip.

Srinivas Mudgerikar, chief public relations officer, Central Railway, said, “The allegations are false. We have confirmed with our staff at Mulund station, who said no such incident took place there.”